[nabs-l] Questions regarding transition to cane use

Anna Givens annajee82 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 04:45:31 UTC 2013

 Hey Ashley,
Where are you from?  Are you familiar with the NFB?
Great questions.  I too have a significant amount of sight.  I do use a cane, although there are times I walk around without it.
As far as using a cane and still being able to drive...  I think the answer is simple... If you feel that you might need a cane, even if u are not sure, it is totally appropriate to use a cane some or all of the time.  A person uses a cane when they want or need to... That's all there is to that.  People may question it, because a llot of people are under the impression that using a cane means you cannot see anything. They are simply misinformed.
Transitioning to cane useage mid-semester may also bring up similar questions from curious/misinformed people.  But again, that's your thing.... If you need it now or think you might.... You should use it.  You do not have to explain to anything to anyone, or you can if you want to.  Really it is nobody's business.  Aa others have mentioned, there really is no reason to talk to your DSS office at all, unless you just want to.
Anyway, I hope you got some good thoughts out of these emails.  As for me, I am a junior in college.  Althoigh I do have a significant amount of vision and my vision is fairly stable, I have chosen to take a while off school to go an NFB training center, to further my knowledge on how I can be a successful person if I am blind.
My last thought is that you should definitely get some kind of instruction on cane usage.  Don't just get a cane and start walking around with it.... This truly will do u more harm than good in the long run.

Let us know...

Anna E Givens