[nabs-l] Questions regarding transition to cane use

I. C. Bray i.c.bray at win.net
Tue Sep 3 13:17:23 UTC 2013

Hi, Ashley,
My initial thoughts are that you might consider taking Orientation &
Mobility ( O&M ) as a "class".
Hopefully, your instructor will teach you the basics under blindfold, and
that way you will have the skills and be aware of the concepts and how will
things will go later.
The largest part of O&M is knowing ( as opposed to seeing ) where you are.
If you can still see, and get around that is great, but using a cane to
travel if you don't need to is like carrying an umbrella on a sunny day (
SMILE )!
Your Opthalmologis is doing you a favor I think.  Your O&M instructor should
put you under blindfold and get you used to it too.
I lost my vision kinda slowly over time, but then finally, it went
completely really quickly.  I started my O&M without even light perception,
but as I recovered just a tiny bit of that, things got easier, but I had
already climbed the hump.

Hope that helps!!

Ian  C. Bray
Louisville, KY