[nabs-l] In class assignments and popquizzes

Jewel herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 14:32:29 UTC 2013

I do tests in two ways. It it is a scheduled test, I get it sent to the disability office to be made sure it is completely accessible, including language settings, tables, alt tags for graphics. I don't usually use double time unless there are many tactile images, like there were in Biology, or I have to read it in Braille, like for mathematics, since I am a slow Braille reader. Doing the test in the disability office ensures that I have someone available if there are problems. I schedule to take the test at the same time as everyone else unless I mean double time.
If it is a pop quiz, the professor puts his or her digital copy of the quiz on a flash drive that I provide. The professors know from the beginning of the semester that this is how we will do it, so they have the digital copy ready. I put the flash drive in my laptop, put my answers in the digital copy, then turn in the flash drive when the other student's turn in their tests. The professor moves the file to their computer and returns the flash drive by the end of class. They can then print it or grade it in the digital file, and give me the graded paper or file. If they grade it digitally, they usually email it to me. I prefer this to cut back on the paper I have to keep up with.
I hope this method makes sense to you and it helps you figure out the best method for yourself. Also, I use JAWS to do this, though for language class I sometimes use my refreshable Braille display so I can see accents and spelling.
-Jewel

Sent from my iPhone