[nabs-l] In class assignments and popquizzes

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Tue Sep 3 13:48:03 UTC 2013

I have two course that at least weekly if no every lecture have in class
quizzes or assignments. These are open book ,open notes, talk with other
students, ask professor questions...

How do you handle these. For example, are they provided to you in large
print, braille, electronic? What if you are someone use uses extended time
on things like tests? What about the access to books? At home I use the
print book with my cctv so I can flip to index then flip to page. This is
not the same with the pdf. Also my monitor at home is 27 inches vs 17 on my
laptop so I am much faster on the large monitor. I have always been a print
reader and do not do well at all with audio. Since my vision is stable
there was never a need to not use large print or cctv. I also find it
difficult to work with other students since I can't see their work and even
when I say I am legally blind or visually impaired and ask if they can
write bigger, they still write in their normal size which is  too small and
with very like pencil.

What are your techniques? Do you do it in class with an accessible format?
Do you take it home and return it next class?

When I went to school years ago 1980s-1990s they did not do all this in
class stuff.

Thanks

Suzanne