[nabs-l] Finding seats VI that does not use cane or dog

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Thu Sep 19 18:12:01 UTC 2013

I don't use a cane or dog but when I walk into a room like the engineering
tutoring center, I find it very hard to know where an empty seat is. these
are tables that hold 6-8 people.

Being someone use does not use a cane I find people difficult if you say
for example "I am visually impaired would you mind showing me where an
empty seat is" It seems they have to go through the song and dance of "you
don't look blind" "why don't you get glasses" but rarely answer the
question.

Because I am not obviously visually impaired I feel very uncomfortable just
walking up and down between all the tables looking for a spot when just off
to the side I may have missed one. I feel like everyone is wondering what
the hell I am doing and thinking I look stupid.

I know this comes from years and years and years of being teased and no one
understanding legally blind and I should just get over feeling like they
think I look stupid. But in the meantime does anyone have any good
techniques?

I did use a cane in high school. Partially for identification and partly
for mobility but I still had issues with people because I would ALWAYS get
the comment "Your not blind" They could never just answer my question like
what bus is this

Suzanne