[nabs-l] problem with college cafe

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 19 18:13:04 UTC 2013

Nathan,
Without seeing the environment, I'm not going to judge that situation.
I might have dropped it, but I'm not the one with the hastle.
Like you, I hate noisy places at lunch time and dislike the annoying chairs.

We have a café at the community college too, but there are not too many
tables and if chairs are in the way, I have room to navigate around them.
Is this a small sandwich café? Do you have to carry a tray or is your stuff
in a bag? We only have trays at the cafeteria and for the cafe
they put your items in containers and I think they have bags if you ask for
that. Otherwise you just take the items to your table or whereever you are
going to eat. I haven't found this much a problem. When I was at george
mason university, GMU, at the café they assisted me to a table within the
café, but I don't think all chairs were hanging out, although I recall some
were.

I'm not sure they can enforce something like this. I'd ask them to put signs
up for students to  push in their chairs. It amazes me how students can
leave a mess, like crumbs, on the table, and not push in chairs. Its common
curtesy!
It could be a tripping hazzard. I think the school can certainly request
students take action, but I see no way to enforce it. I would not expect a
security officer to stand and patrol the café and give out warnings or
something for failing to push in chairs.
I mean, they cannot monitor it.

See what happens in the meeting and in the next few weeks. Otherwise, if the
problem isn't solved, you might try and get sighted assistance to find a
table. I also think carrying items in a to go bag will make
it easier to carry your items to a table.

Ashley