[nabs-l] Finding seats VI that does not use cane or dog

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 20 02:51:34 UTC 2013

Suzanne,

As someone with low vision too, I have encountered odd questions too. I use
a cane all the time in public areas like school, but it does not help in
finding empty chairs.

Its too bad people cannot tell you where a seat is. I mean if you say you
cannot see much and need help, it seems to me  that they could simply tell
you the information. Gee, I wonder about people sometime.

I ask where seats are if I don't see one immediately, but usually there are
empty seats in the first few rows I can easily grab.
I'd suggest getting to class early. You will have the majority of seats free
then and simply grab one. Take a seat at the end of a table if possible; its
easier to find.

If a seat is not free at the end, just walk down the row of seats to see
what is free.
As you move among the seats, listen for talking and movement. Often
clusters of students sit together and will make some sort of noise.
If you hear silence in a certain area, chances are no one is sitting there.

If you still have difficulty, talk to the professor. This may not be a
popular idea as I know we don't want to look incompetent, but I would not
want to feel bad about finding a place to sit. Simply say to the professor
you need some guidance and could they point you to a seat or save a seat for
you in a certain row. Professors also know what seats fill up first and
which ones remain empty. They see a pattern.
Knowing this pattern may help you find a chair. I know I definitely try and
look independent while walking into class and sitting down. So I go to the
first few rows and try and find a seat. If none is free, I move further
back. Often I only get a few steps, and the professor tells me where a seat
is.
I did not have to say anything, but I use a cane so its obvious I have
difficulty.
I would think  a professor would help you with a simple verbal cue if they
know you need help.

Another option is if you have a friend or acquaintance in class who
understands you cannot see, ask them for help and they can tell you where
empty seats are.

I hope some of this helps. Good luck.
Also, you sure have a lot to carry. I don't know how you have the strength
to haul it around all day.

Ashley