[nabs-l] Grade Expunging

Dan Burke dburke at cocenter.org
Sat Sep 21 21:58:01 UTC 2013

Yes, people have had grades removed from transcripts for lack of accessibility.  In most cases probably it has required a complaint - either using your college's internal due process or complaints with state or federal agencies, such as the U.S. Dept. of Education's Office of Civil Rights.  Of course, the NFB has handled many cases similar in nature, but always shooting for a bigger target - namely that the college get itself accessible.

In other words, you have to prove that discrimination occurred because they did not respond to your requests.

Various rules and practices are different at every school, it's true.  At the institution where I worked they would allow a grade to be removed  after the course was re-taken and a better grade was earned.  It was meant for someone who got a grade like an F and wanted to do better.  Eventually, it cost the student $100 to remove that old grade, but again only after getting a better one on re-take.  You might be able to find such a path, but it won't' do anything to fix the bigger problem - lack of accessibility.

Dropping or withdrawing prior to the train wreck is pretty sound advice.  But it is not always entirely without consequences.  In some cases, if you wait too long, the W shows as either W-F or W-P, so if you are already failing it can affect your GPA.

The other consequence is that VR will often not pay for a retake, and they certainly don't like F's.

You start with the Registrar's web site and start finding out what the expunge options might be, and what cost.  You look for the college's accessibility statements - DS offices, but also Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action officers.  Also look for the ADA/504 Coordinator's information.  These are  the places you can see what steps are open to you for complaints or grievances.

The other thing to keep in mind is going to vR when accommodations don't happen, and getting a reader.  If you can't get accessible educational materials, then get a reader and do it yourself.  VR can pay for this.  They won't like to do it.  The regs in VR say that they can count the accommodations under the ADA as "comparable benefits."  That means something you need that they don't have to pay for.  What they always forget in VR is that the regs also say that if the accommodations fail, they are still responsible.

One more way to avoid the train wreck.

HTH
Dan

Dan Burke
Academic and Youth Services
Colorado Center for the Blind
Take charge with confidence and self-reliance

www.cocenter.org
facebook.com/coloradocenterfortheblind
@CoCenter4Blind
www.youtube.com/user/cocenterorg