[nabs-l] Success and Why I Left the NFB

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 01:18:21 UTC 2014

Steve,

Excellent post. I can't respond point by point in a timely fashion, but I
want to address something you mentioned. You wrote:

"What you see as a downward spiral, I see as the challenges of change."

I want to be clear that the downward spiral I'm referring to is the waning
interest in the traditional grassroots movement. National conventions are no
longer the sole means of catching up with old friends. You are absolutely
correct that change offers its own set of challenges, but these challenges
are completely independent of the membership core and basic organizational
management. People are discovering they can use technology to make apps more
accessible through direct contact with developers. The same petitions and
social networking strategies currently being used to try to make headway on
accessible technology in education are being exercised by other organized
groups on similar issues out there. In other words, the NFB needs to keep
itself a relevant force if we want it to stay a vital power, because you can
replicate strategies, but you can't replace people.

More to the point, how do you keep NABS graduates involved in the
organization after NABS is no longer relevant? I really don't have an answer
and am curious about ideas as to how this could be accomplished to see the
organization through fifty more years of service. I agree with you that a
lot of the organization's work is an exercise in risk, but when the well
runs dry and the membership is fatigued, or to be quite frank, when the
dedicated membership dies out, what then? Yeah, I think we fix some of our
attitudes and biases. We replace some of the old guard with new blood, but
is it enough?

Okay, any more from me and it's going to seem like I'm raining on the parade
even more than what I've already done. It's really not my desire to be the
Debbie downer of the crowd. Yet I think the dialogue is good, and I wish
more of these discussions were engaged with the general membership and not
just in the safe confines of leadership seminars. Actually, other than a
big-o history lesson and Maurer's take on different letters to the
president, I don't know that my own leadership seminar taught me anything.
So, I developed my own positions and opinions, and you see where that gets
us. To be fair, maybe I'm just the stubborn dim bulb in the chandelier.

When are we going to see the results of that membership satisfaction survey?
More important, when are we going to see the action items that sprung from
it?

Kerri,

Thanks for posting your positive experiences about the organization. My
gloom and doom messages should always be balanced with very positive stories
like yours.

Joe

--
Twitter: @ScribblingJoe