[nabs-l] How can NFB better include peoplewithmultipledisabilities mental illness

Sam Nelson nelsonsam68 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 19:44:54 UTC 2014

Hi  everyone,
 I'm not very much into the NFB in a lot of ways but one hundred percent
agree that there needs to be more connection between support/ services for
the blind and for those that have other disabilities along with blindness.
Personally I've seen this disconnect with  blindness and mental illness. I
agree with everything  Desiree said about therapists and them not
understanding how blindness impacts mental illnessor how mental illness
might affect blindness. I've also seen a lot of misunderstanding with
blindness profesionals not understanding how mental illness might interfere
with living on one's own getting a standard full time job ETC and so their
scope of services don't allow for anything outside what they perceive to be
normal.
 I do want to give a shout out that I run an e-mail list called
blind-mentalhealth on yahoo. I've been running it since May and it is a very
close knit community  and we all support each other day to day with these
struggles, providing encouragement and resources if possible and most of all
just our friendship.
 Lastly I've heard of a center in NY that has the only psychiatric clinic
and daytreatment program  for the blind. Does  anyone know anthing about
this program? I've tried looking online everywhere for a contact person as
I'd be  very curious to know more about the program and how they do  things.

 Sam