[nabs-l] AP statistics

Lillie Pennington lilliepennington at fuse.net
Fri Apr 25 19:48:23 UTC 2014

Hi Arielle and all,

I apologize for my horrible email responsive habits again. I met with my
stats teacher today for next year. The meeting itself was good, and the
teacher seemed willing to work with me. She said that she rarely uses excel
or hand graphs and instead uses a graphing calculator. She said she would
send me a list of functions so that I could have the summer to work out what
I needed to do.

However, one thing that did not go well was my TVI. I apologize if I need to
start a new thread for this. While he did let me deal directly with my
teacher (which surprised me), when my teacher mentioned that there was some
trig that would be on the ACT that I would need to know just as a sort of
FYI thing to consider, my TVI kept bringing the conversation back to the ACT
and math in general, and if she thought I should switch out, although she
had previously said that it was just a thing to consider. I thanked the
teacher for her concern and said that I had consulted with multiple sources,
and although there was some trepidation it was not going to be a huge gaping
concern to me in the long run. I had spoken to my TVI about this beforehand
and he was not listening to me about the issue.
I walked out of a meeting that was supposed to turn out pretty good feeling
very concerned and upset; not because of the class, but because of my TVI's
actions. I respect and understand the fact that he has concerns, but he is
addressing them in a way that isn't the best. He says stuff like "I don't
think you can handle this" or "I don't think your parents know what you are
doing." Although I have my parents entire support on this, he has not
contacted them about it. He tried to get my guidance counselor to dissuade
me from taking AP classes, but my counselor sited with me. My parents and I
have agreed that I need to speak to him on Monday about how that was
probably not the best course of action to take on his part and how I and my
parents have made this decision and he needs to respect it.
His actions in this respect and his negative actions in general are
completely destroying what little confidence I had both in blindness and as
a person. I feel like I have no right to speak against him or that he will
not take me seriously no matter how I phraise anything because no matter
what I'm just a dumb blind teenager who knows absolutely nothing about her
capabilities or about anything in general. There are incidents besides this
one where I have felt like I was being questioned. I do not think I have
done anything to make him question me like this.
He is completely destroying my confidence and I need to salvage what little
I have left to make him stop treating me like this. I understand that
everyone has different ways of dealing with people, but I do not think
whether he knows it or not, he should not be aiming to destroy my confidence
or make me feel like I have to prove something to him. I understand that not
all of this is his fault and through my actions I have probably done
something to earn this, but I would like to know what.
I apologize for complaining here, and I am not trying to get pitty. I do
plan to talk to him on Monday so I can at least try to do something
constructive about the situation. He has done some good things, but the bad
things overshadow the good things he has done.

Thanks,
Lillie