[nabs-l] Arielle's point about people being infantilized at home

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Sun Apr 27 00:01:33 UTC 2014

Good evening everyone,

This is far from being nonsense! It's an all too familiar problem that no
one seems to have figured out how to address. Social Security law does
permit parents or guardians of disabled individuals living with them to
receive benefits as they are providing care to such persons. It becomes a
problem when unscrupulous parents, relatives, or guardians do all within
their power to discourage or not permitting disabled individuals to move out
on their own so they would lose the monthly benefit check they receive.
Never mind that the blind person is quite capable of living independently as
long as they can continue to receive Social Security payments for having
that person live with them they'll do all within their power to hang on to
that benefit check with little or no consideration of the rights of the
blind individual and their wishes to live away from home and function
independently and create a high quality of life than what they have being
stuck under their parents roof.

    Much to her credit my mother could have easily been tempted to keep me
living with her so she could continue to receive Social Security for
providing for my needs but she recognized that I needed to make my own way
in this World, that she wouldn't be around to care for me for my entire life
(Something that has come to pass as she died the day before Thanksgiving
2009) that We're all entitled to live independent and productive lives and
that selfish individuals like that do great harm to and a great disservice
to their blind children or spouses whatever the case may be. I would hope
that Social Security would scrutinize claims made by disabled adults still
living at home to insure that there are indeed valid reasons for their
remaining with a parent or guardian and that they are not being exploited
simply so these caretakers can mooch off the Government at the expense of
the rights and dignity of the blind individual. This is a very real problem
and one I hope the NFB addresses more aggressively in the future. All the
best.

Peter Donahue