[nabs-l] international students

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 02:13:08 UTC 2014

Elif and all,

Way to go for bringing this important topic to the forefront!

Chris mentioned that he did not see the need for an international
student division at this time, but what about an international
division of some sort that falls under the NFB in general?  I'm sure
there are plenty of general members of the NFB who are already
degree-qualified, who probably struggle with some of the same issues
such as learning the culture, finding where and how to get groceries,
learning the currency system, etc.  Though I am not an international
student, I have talked to Elif a fair amount as we're from the same
state student division, and I would imaging those cultural things have
an added component of complexity for all who are blind.  I see two
separate issues here rather than one; the first is learning how to
access accommodations in the U.S, which can be tricky depending on
individual circumstances and the home country in question, and the
cultural stuff.  Maybe some blind adults from other countries have
advice for current students based on their experiences?  I think it
would be more beneficial to reach out not just to international
students, but international people in the NFB in general.  I see this
as yielding the most information for all involved.

Just my two cents worth.