[nabs-l] What I want to see more of on this list

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 6 19:21:23 UTC 2014

Hello Roanna,

I am glad to hear you are interested in reading stories from people who have
attended an NFB training center. Cindy has already shared one resource where
you can read stories from people who have attended BLIND, Inc. I do not know
if the other two centers feature similar stories on their websites, but I
know these stories are out there to be found.

When I was interested in attending an NFB training center quite some time
ago, I searched the NFB website to find stories featuring personal
experiences from people who have attended all three of the NFB training
centers. I have contacted the chair of the website committee about putting
my collection of NFB training center stories on the NABS website for anyone
to read. I know it is possible for people to search the archives of the NABS
email list, but I thought the NABS website would be a good central location
that can be easily accessed by others.

While we are working on putting these stories on the website, I will post
one story featuring each of the NFB training centers on the email list over
the next several weeks. The first story will be posted in a separate email
following this one. I hope you enjoy reading these stories and that they can
give you a sense of what it is like to attend an NFB training center.

If you are seriously interested in attending an NFB training center, I would
highly encourage you to visit the center you are interested in attending if
it is something you can afford to do. However, if you are not able to visit
the NFB training center of your choice, talking to former and current
students can also provide helpful information as well. Some of these former
students have chosen to publish their experiences in the Braille Monitor.
Since I found these stories to be helpful, I thought I would simply pass
them along to others.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth