[nabs-l] We know about college but think back to high school

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 20:57:32 UTC 2014

Hi all,
This also relates to Ana's thread. I firmly believe that college is
easier than high school, for several reasons. First, you make your own
schedule. Second, you spend less hours per day on campus in college
than you do in high school. Third, much less busy work and homework to
keep organized; you also get the whole semester's schedule in advance,
which really helps with planning. Fourth, more access to tutoring and
support resources. Fifth, many of your teachers are experts in their
field with advanced doctoral degrees and really love their subject.
There are also numerous social advantages of college over high school
Unfortunately, I think many TVI's and other disability professionals
don't see these advantages and instead teach students to be afraid of
college or to depend too much on disability support offices that are
often over-worked and unable to accommodate them. Other times,
students are held to such low expectations in high school that college
is actually harder than high school for them. The one challenge of
college that isn't present in high school is the need to independently
secure accessible textbooks. There are many resources for this, but if
students are only told about one or two of them, they are apt to
struggle. Many students today also don't realize that hiring a reader
is a viable option and sometimes the best way to get a job done.
Bridget, when you say students aren't transitioning well,could you
provide a little more detail? Are they dropping out of college, not
being admitted to college, or struggling to find employment?
Arielle