[nabs-l] Your experience with college search

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 00:44:59 UTC 2014

Hi Michael and all,
One nice thing about being in a Ph.D. program is that you will
probably have all your activities in just one or two buildings, so you
won't need to learn the entire campus. I was at University of Colorado
for six years and only used one building for all my classes and
research, plus two for teaching assignments. As for Braille signage, I
am unaware of a place where classrooms are consistently labeled. I
wouldn't let a large or sprawled-out campus intimidate you from
attending school there, especially since you will only be using a
small part of that campus.
I've never considered any disability-related factors when choosing a
school, instead focusing on the quality of the academic programs. I
honestly don't think there's much difference between schools as far as
accessibility goes. When choosing a Ph.D. program the single most
important factor is choosing a mentor who is very interested in
working with you and who you want to be spending a lot of time with. A
good fit between Ph.D. student and mentor is genrally more important
than te school itself.
Arielle