[nabs-l] One can live without disability services and others

Joshua Hendrickson louvins at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 04:46:04 UTC 2014

Ashley.  I know about the acomidation sheets you mentioned.  I gave
them to my instructors in college all the time.  But, I had to get
them from my DSS office like you also mentioned.  As I progressed
through college, I became better at asking teachers for the help I
needed.  In the beginning some of the teachers would ask me how they
could best help me, but later on, I'd aproach a teacher either before,
or after class, and speak to them, if I had a problem or a question.
No blind person should be afraid to ask for the help they need.  I
remember one of my teachers for a history class substituted me calling
her on the phone and talking to her instead of a face to face office
visit which was one of the requirements for her class.  Overall I'd
say my instructors were very acomidating and gave me the help I need.
The one teacher who didn't want me in his science class, I was able to
take an alternative online class which worked out very well for me.
These discussions are always very interesting.

On 12/15/14, Ashley Bramlett <bookwormahb at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> I agree. While I never had issues ordering recorded texts,
> since my TVI taught me that, I did rely on dss for accessible handouts at
> the beginning.
> As I got more comfortable with technology and scanners, I relied less on
> them for that.
>
> I think DSS should be used in moderation as lilly said.
> I also feel its in the amount of inaccessible things. For instance, I think
>
> a blind student can and should scan small handouts themselves if they are
> not accessible already via the professor's emailing them.
> But if its major readings like 20 plus pages, I think it may be reasonable
> for dss to do it. I say this because its time consuming to scan and scan and
>
> if you let dss do it, they can edit for you.
> So, its all an individual thing.
>
> Ashley

>>> blind.

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/kmaent1%40gma