[nabs-l] Recording College Classes with an iPhone 5

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 06:53:44 UTC 2014

What I've been doing is using an app called Drop Vox (not Box, but Vox
with a V).  It's in the app store and costs $3 or $4, but it's well
worth the money.  It's a very simple app that produces MP3 recordings,
and syncs them directly into your Drop Box.  If you do not already
have Drop Box, accounts are free.

The nice thing about this is that I can go into Drop Box on my
computer and get the mp3, and put it on other devices to make moving
around the file easier.  I like to put them on my BookSense sometimes,
and others I just fast forward with windows media player.

I've been asked why I don't just record on my BookSense.  I used to do
this, but frankly the IPhone 5 does have better recording quality.
Second, I don't usually have my BookSense with me since I don't use
audio to read much, and my phone is always there.

I would recommend making sure you have a charger with you if you're
going to do this though.  My phone usually dies at the end of 70
minutes or so if it's recording the whole time, although I have an
IPhone 4 that is pretty old.  Nevertheless, if you're going to do this
for multiple classes, you're battery is going to take a hit.

Hope this helps,

On 12/16/14, Karl Martin Adam via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> It is possible to do, but it's awkward.  The app you use is
> called voice memos, and it records all right, but you can't
> really fast forward or rewind really well.  All you can do is
> jump around by I think it's 5 or 10 percent backward and forward.
> There may be other apps out there that do this better than the
> factory provided one though.

Kaiti