[nabs-l] To Tell or Not to Tell: "I'm Blind."

Leye-Shprintse Öberg leyeshprintse at ymail.com
Fri Dec 26 12:35:37 UTC 2014

BS'D

Hello all,

Recently, I've thought a lot about when I'll tell, or not tell, people that I'm blind. I live in Sweden and have been told since childhood, by the Low Vision Centre, the Swedish Association of the Visually Impaired and teachers, that I need to tell people that I'm blind; otherwise, I'd be rude or people wouldn't treat me fairly.

However, my experience is the other side around; and lately, it has become painfully clear to me that people judge me even before they've met me because I've told them that I'm blind and use a guide dog as my mobility aid. The main reason why I tell people this is because it's legal in Sweden to denny guide dog handlers access because of the 'dog'.

Since this last thing happened tough, I've decided to not tell people that I'm blind in the future; I'll only tell universities beforehand and maybe employers if it'll help my application. It'll take time tough to not feel guilty about it; I even feel guilty when I think these thoughts. Brain washed or not?!?

I want to be judged for the person I'm and not because of my disability. My disability has formed me, but I'm not my disability. Okay? Right now, I'm very tired and sad! I'd need a hug or two!

When do you tell or not tell that you're blind?

Lesholom,
Leye-Shprintse Öberg