[nabs-l] Training Center Story from the Louisiana Center for the Blind

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 29 21:45:08 UTC 2014

Hello All,

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season regardless of which holidays
you choose to celebrate. Below this message you will find a story published
in the February 1996 Braille Monitor about attending the Louisiana Center
for the Blind. I am honestly not quite sure how this story made it into my
collection, but I can definitely relate to being able to overcome fears in
my life as touched upon in this story. I know there are some younger
students on this email list, so I thought I would post a story highlighting
the experience of someone who attended one of the summer youth programs
offered at the NFB training centers. I hope you enjoy reading this story.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth

--------

The Braille Monitor
February 1996

Taking a Step In the Right Direction
by Kimberly Aguillard

 From the Editor: In October, 1995, the Louisiana Center for the Blind, the
adult rehabilitation center operated by the National Federation of the Blind
of Louisiana, celebrated a decade of service to blind people. A new addition
was opened, and Center alumni returned from across the country to join in
the festivities. To mark the occasion, the alumni organization also compiled
a book of testimonials to the importance of good training, positive role
models, and active participation in the organized blind movement. The title
of this publication is A Personal Perspective, edited by Olegario D. Cantos,
VII. One of the contributors was Kimberly Aguillard, who is currently in the
eighth grade at Central Middle School in Nederland, Texas. In this story
Kimberly tells about her first experience with the philosophy and attitudes
of the National Federation of the Blind. Here is what she has to say:

 Being in my early teens, I function just like any other
thirteen-year-old--going to dances and parties and getting involved with
extracurricular activities such as serving on the student council, working
on the school paper, and singing in the school choir. I also act like any
other thirteen-year-old, occasionally smarting off or breaking rules. The
only thing that makes me different from everyone else is that I am totally
blind.

 I have had no vision since I was nine. The little vision I had before then
was not very helpful. I used large print books, even though I knew Braille.
I knew how to use a cane but never did because I thought I could get around
well enough without it. I was wrong. After I became blind, I learned Nemeth
code for math. My Dad also helped me learn how to use an abacus. I made it
through fourth and fifth grade, having adjusted pretty well.

 The summer before sixth grade my mother and I went to the annual convention
of the National Federation of the Blind in Dallas. I knew as soon as we
stepped into the lobby of the hotel that it would be an experience I would
never forget. Nearly everyone had a cane or guide dog. I felt silly hanging
on to my mom's arm. I noticed how well some of the people got around, and I
was encouraged. I met a lot of nice people and also traded in my old short
cane for a new long one.

 I met a lot of kids from the Summer Training and Employment Project (STEP)
at the Louisiana Center for the Blind. They explained to my mother and me
that the program was for blind teenagers. If I enrolled, I would take
classes in Braille, cane travel, daily living skills, and computers. The
program also helps students find summer jobs. My mother was very interested;
I was not!

 When it came time to apply the next year, my mother did. I was not old
enough for STEP, so I was placed in the Buddy Program. I was nervous just
thinking about going, but I was terrified when my Mom explained that my
counselors and teachers would also be blind. I didn't let either of my
parents know that I was scared; I just complained about how it would ruin my
summer. But, when my parents dropped me off, I had to admit that they had
won this one, and I was stuck in Ruston for a month.

 I started to like it, though; it was just a neat setup. There were only
eight kids with four counselors. It was fun having such a small group. I
made friends with the students and could talk to them about stuff that I
couldn't talk to my sighted friends about. I could talk to them because they
knew how it felt and could relate. The counselors were great role models. I
especially liked my counselor, Brenda Walburn. I also liked my travel
instructor, Eddie Bell. It always seemed as though he was picking on me and
asking me confusing questions. I would know the answer, but if he asked,
"Are you sure?" I was not sure. I liked cane travel the most even though it
scared me. It wasn't long until I started to love the Buddy Program. It
really helped me to be surrounded by positive blind people.

 Before I knew it, we were in the last week, and it was time for my solo
route in travel. At first I was terrified. But then I realized I could do
it, and I got excited. I remember walking into travel class, feeling
slightly nervous, getting my assignment, and going on my way. I don't
remember having any problems.

 When my parents came up for the parents' seminar at the end of the
four-week summer session, they were delighted to see me floating around so
easily. I took my cane into all the stores and used it well. I was really
sad to go, because I would miss all my friends. I talked to them when I
needed to strengthen my beliefs in what I could do as a blind person. I
think that, of all the staff, Eddie had the most influence on me. I know
that, if he hadn't pushed me until I was so mad that I felt like screaming,
I would never have done those routes, and I would never have developed much
confidence.

 I feel very lucky to have my parents too. I used to get mad at them for
always expecting so much of me. I now realize that, if they hadn't always
pushed me to do better in school and in everything I did, I wouldn't have
tried. I wouldn't have tried to make student council or honor society. I am
also very glad they made me go to Ruston. They knew that it would be good
for me, and as usual they were right. Sometimes I wonder what it would have
been like never to have met Eddie, Brenda, or the rest. I really believe
that, if I hadn't come to the Louisiana Center for the Blind, I would still
be scared of a lot of things.

 Sometimes I also wonder about my future. Who knows what kind of challenges
it will hold? As long as I have the support of my parents, the friends I
have made at the center in Ruston, and the National Federation of the Blind,
I can handle anything that is thrown my way! If ever I meet other blind
people who don't know about the National Federation of the Blind, I'm going
to tell them how much I believe in them the same way that my Federation
friends continue to believe in me!