[nabs-l] developmental delay and blindness

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 23:08:05 UTC 2014

Hi Andrew and all,

Like Michael I'll begin by pointing out that I'm neither a doctor
nor a neuroscientist.  As Arielle and Kaiti have pointed out,
blindness often is caused by an underlying condition like
premature birth or a brain tumor that affects other areas of the
brain causing cognitive disabilities.  There are also genetic
links between blindness and other disabilities in some cases.  I
have significant doubt that the lack of visual information in
itself causes developmental delays as opposed to the delays being
socially caused by people's reaction to blindness.  When blind
children are prevented from exploring their environment out of a
mistaken idea that it would be too dangerous for them, for
instance, it's no wonder that their brains don't develop
properly.  Social situations also can have a huge impact.  I
personally know several blind people who were put in resource
rooms with multiply-impaired children instead of being
mainstreamed and basically learned to be autistic by doing what
children do and internalizing the behavior of their peers as the
proper way to behave.  Even mainstreamed blind children are often
not held to the same social and academic standards as their sited
peers, and this can become a self-fulfilling prophecy--students
end up being behind in math or reading because they are not
expected to practice as much or with as challenging materials as
sited students for instance.  Like Kaiti's example of being
prevented from crawling none of this is caused by the blindness
itself.