[nabs-l] looking for a summer job

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 00:17:13 UTC 2014

Hi Sophie,

Here are a few suggestions that I know have worked for me or others I know.

If you have any sort of agency that produces braille, perhaps they
would like a braille proofreader.  I know a guy who got an internship
doing this for a summer and he really liked it.  If you know what sort
of field you want to go into in college, or at least have a few ideas,
try volunteering or job shadowing someone else in that field.  It is
not only a way to be productive over the summer, but also a good way
to find out if the career you think you want is really the right one
for you, and get a little professional experience while you're at it.
The last one may be a little controversial but I know it can be done.
If you have any prior experience working with kids you can try
babysitting or working at a daycare.

Good luck!

On 1/31/14, Sophie Trist <sweetpeareader at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey NABS people,
>
> I'm seventeen and a junior in high school. Since I'm not going to
> any blindness training camp this summer, I decided I'd look for a
> job, volunteer or paid doesn't matter. I honestly have no idea
> what I want to do or how to go about finding a job. The only work
> experience I had was last year at STEP when the director of LCB
> found the job for me. How does one go about finding summer jobs?
> Wht kind of summer jobs are accessible to blind teenagers? Any
> input is appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> Yours sincerely,
> Sophie

Kaiti