[nabs-l] nfb training centers

Misty Dawn Bradley mistydbradley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 16:58:03 UTC 2014

Hi Kelsey,
I have never attended an NFB center, but I am in the process of trying to
get into one, although vocational rehab is still being difficult about it in
my state, so it is taking longer to do things. Do you have a case open with
vocational rehabilitation in your state? If so, then they could pay for your
training. You may have to justify it, since some states tend to favor
in-state centers rather than out-of-state NFB centers, but they are supposed
to allow you to choose where you want to get training. I am not sure how NFB
centers do it, but I have been to a state-run center in Raleigh, North
Carolina, for their 4 week summer program when I was 16, and it was similar
to your experience where they were extremely sheltering and we couldn't go
out or do things on our own, and whenever they planned an outing in the
evenings, everyone had to go whether they liked it or not. They told me it
is because we were considered minors, so I guess it was a liability issue,
but, in my opinion, it took away from the whole point of training to become
more independent. In this center, they did evaluations for a week that were
extensive, but they were mostly psychological and intelligence related.
Another center that I lived near in Texas did hands-on evaluations where
they asked you to do things to show them how well you could do things such
as cleaning and what areas you needed improvements in, and this typically
took about a month, and after that month, you began training on those areas.
I believe that the NFB centers do the same thing and evaluate you to find
out what you need to work on and what your goals are, etc. although I am not
sure what their process is for doing evaluations.
Hope this helps,
Misty