[nabs-l] Mentoring a younger student; when enough is enough

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 03:50:47 UTC 2014

Hi Lillie,

It is totally fine to give initial help with touring the student
around the school and the other things you've described, but make it
clear that with your schedule next year that you might not be able to
be as present in dooing things like teaching her routes later on,
tutoring, etc.  It sounds like you're planning in the right direction.

Maybe later on even with your schedule and rigorous schedule you could
still be available over email.  That way you could still be helpful
even if you aren't able to physically be there to show her things.

You're right that junior year is very busy, and I was always told it
is the hardest year of high school simply because it is when the
majority of AP classes happen, it is when you start getting your
college stuff together, etc.  Do what you can do, and don't be afraid
to put yourself first.

Kaiti