[nabs-l] Mentoring a younger student; when enough is enough

Lillie Pennington lilliepennington at fuse.net
Wed Feb 12 03:28:36 UTC 2014

Hello Joe and all,

You have a very, very good point here. I probably jumped the gun a little in
sending this message and worrying about this. I like to be prepared for any
situation that could arise from anything. The possibility of working with
this student had also been discussed between me and an old TVI about a year
ago.
After reading the messages in this thread, I have sort of developed a sort
of rough draft for a plan that I may execute to find out what what is
desired of me at this point to do, and at future points.
When I get my  approved course list some time next week, I plan to give it
to my TVI  as he has previously requested. I may ask some point in this time
period if this student has any idea of her schedule yet. Hopefully more
information will be given, and I will also ask if she has any questions (I
had conveyed a message to her yesterday to send a list of questions so I
could see where she was at and I could provide more detailed, thought out
answers.) I may say something like, I know that I can help her now, but
because of my schedule I am not sure how much I can help with anything next
year, and then see where it is going from there.

Thank you everyone for your support and I will let you all know if anything
comes of this.
Lillie