[nabs-l] class notes

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 03:42:57 UTC 2014

Hi all,

There are certainly many variations on this, but like Lillie I was
always taught to take my own notes.  If the other students were doing
it, I was expected to as well.  Through elementary and into high
school I did this on a BrailleNote, and now that I am in college I use
a combination of devices depending on what it is I am trying to note.
If I am trying to take note of a lecture class, then I'll use my
laptop just because it is a little more convenient for me to keep
notes on my computer, since it goes with me everywhere.  There is one
class where I use my BrailleSense On-Hand for notetaking, and that is
because the portability of the NoteTaker makes it ideal for use in
field experience.  When I am taking note of a musical concept or
something someone is demonstrating to me with an explanation, I find
it best to record it with a BookSense or my IPhone's voice recorder
app.   I do have the option of using a volunteer notetaker for
classes, but I find it better to go without.  Plus, it allows me to be
independent in controling the quality of my notes, and make sure I
have them right away since I don't need to wait for anyone to email
them to me.  I find this way simpler and more effective in my case,
but then again I avoid a lot of accomodations that other blind
students use like scribes and readers like the plague, simply because
I like to be in control of my own learning and notetaking.

I guess the expectations I was held to in pre-collegiate schooling
have stuck with me, but I find it much more helpful to take my own
notes.  I am one of those people who remembers writing something down,
so actually typing my own notes helps me to remember and memorize the
information better.  Also, I like to put little metaphors in my notes
that other people might not necessarily put, which help me understand
concepts in a weird kind of way, so I like to take my own notes so
that that helpful comparrison is there for me.

It really depends on your learning style.  If you are an auditory
learner, then having a recording might be better for you.  If you are
a kenesthetic learner, then taking the notes yourself might be best.
Or, if you have a hard time dividing your attention between taking
notes and participating in class, see if you can get a notetaker
through your ds office.

Kaiti