[nabs-l] What is independence?

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 03:53:09 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I am going to echo much of what has already been said, but
independence means a lot.

I have a few anecdotes to demonstrate my point.  I have always been an
artsy person, and much like Lillie's story my mom would always help me
shop for what I was looking for---same with clothes.  However, I was
always the person to make the final say in what I would purchase.  On
the other hand, independence for us can mean many different things to
people on the periphery of our lives.  They might overstep a bound and
not realize what they are doing, because it is well-intended.  Going
back to my mom, when I told her I had made plans to live on my own
next year, she was concerned about a number of things.  I consistently
have a class that gets out at 6:30, and some that get out at 8:00 PM,
so she was worried about the safety risks of me walking outside in the
dark by myself.  Every time I walk somewhere at night after about 9:00
PM, and choose to call her for safety reasons, I get "You shouldn't be
out on your own right now, that's a stupid risk to take."  I know
she's just being a mom, but it seems a bit like overkill when there
are hundreds of other students walking around after 9:00 PM on campus
too.

I am a firm believer in the idea that you should do what you can on
your own, and strive to find alternative ways to do the things that
you don't already know how to do.  This is why I am teaching myself to
cook, and although I've burned a few grilled cheeses and messed up
pasta because I added noodles before water because I was used to doing
that to make hard boiled eggs, these small failures are what are
helping me to learn.  However, when there is something I have no idea
how to do, or do not think I will be able to teach myself, or that
would be more practical for me to not try to teach myself, I am not
afraid or ashamed of asking for assistance from others.  It really
depends on the situation, and what "tool in your toolbox" will best
suit the need at the time as Aleeha said.

Kaiti