[nabs-l] What is independence?

Desiree Oudinot turtlepower17 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 21:49:30 UTC 2014

Hi,
This is a very good topic for discussion.

For me, true independence is living your life without feeling burdened
by the things that you can't do. It is knowing that you have the skills
necessary to achieve whatever your goals and aspirations in life are.
More importantly, it means knowing your limits. It means being able to
explore the depths of your soul freely and without guilt. This is
necessary because people who scream the loudest about their independence
are often the ones who spend the most time consciously emulating someone
else's values and beliefs. If one can think for themselves, and be
inspired by, rather than shamed into, knowing how they feel about
themselves, their place in the world, their morals, etc., that, to me,
is the key ingredient to being truly independent.