[nabs-l] What is independence?

Ryan Silveira ryan.l.silveira at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 22:20:44 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I agree with what has been said thus far; the word “independence” has several connotative meanings.  For me, I believe that an independent person has the ability to function without being fully reliant on others to manage their lives.  Independence does not, however, necessarily mean that one must never rely on others for assistance.  Whether one is blind, hearing impaired, in a wheel chair, developmentally challenged or without any diagnosed disability, one still needs to ask for assistance from time to time.  If a person can think for themselves, take care of themselves, make trivial and important decisions by and for themselves and manage life in general (whether that be home life, school, a career or all of the above) and do it mostly on their own, they are independent.  They should also, however, know when to ask for help.  No one should have to go through life alone.  Every person needs help in some way.  The greatest sign of independence is the ability to manage life on one’s own, while also knowing where the limit is and when to ask for help.

Ryan L. Silveira