[nabs-l] marketing class

Misty Dawn Bradley mistydbradley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 20:42:11 UTC 2014

Hi,
In the past, I had a sociology instructor who would send me links to written
transcripts of the videos that could be found online. A lot of documentaries
have transcripts that can be found online, as long as you know the title and
the station where it was broadcasted. Not all videos have this, but if the
professor knew it was available, she would email me a link to both the video
and transcript if it was available. Maybe you could ask the professor or
instructor if she could do this or at least provide you with the title and
producer of the videos ahead of time so you can search for a transcript.
As for powerpoints, my instructors have usually either posted them on
Blackboard or Moodle for all students, or if they do not do that, I have
asked them to email me a copy of the powerpoints that they use in class so
that I can turn them into an accessible format. If you want to read through
a powerpoint presentation with JAWS, you can usually just open it in
Microsoft Powerpoint and hit F5 to make it a slide show, and then Jaws will
read the first slide. You can then hit the spacebar key to go to each slide
and have JAWS read it, and then it will exit the slide show at the end of
the slides. You can also turn the Powerpoint into a PDF file by selecting
pdf in the file types in the save as dialogue box. I do this a lot when I
don't want to have to deal with the powerpoint program itself. I open the
file up in Microsoft Powerpoint, and then I go to "Save As" and tab to the
file type box and down arrow until I hear PDF and press enter to select it,
and then I hit enter again, and it saves it. I then close the file and go to
the folder where the powerpoint file is, and there will now be two different
files with the same name but different extensions: one is a powerpoint .ppt
or .pptx extension, and the other is a .pdf extension. Open the .pdf
extension file, and it will be the powerpoint but in the pdf format, so it
will be like reading any other pdf file and will have the text of the
powerpoint in it. It will also contain the graphics or pictures found in the
powerpoint, but they generally don't get in the way of JAWS reading the text
and usually only take up one line and will just say graphic and then a
number when JAWS comes across them. I have converted many of my powerpoints
from professors to pdf in this way, since it is quicker for me to read
straight through a pdf file than it is having to deal with slides and
powerpoints that sometimes won't read well with jaws.
I have used Blackboard in the past, but it has been a few years, so I am not
sure what it is like now, because my current school uses Moodle rather than
Blackboard. When I did use Blackboard, it was frustrating but doable, but I
heard that it has become more accessible since then. You could maybe try it
out, and then if you have any problems with the discussions, you could
notify your professor or the disability services office. Perhaps your
professor will be flexible enough to allow you to email the discussions and
assignments to her if Blackboard is inaccessible. I have also done this with
professors in the past. I just email them and explain that the Blackboard or
whatever platform I am using to upload an assignment or forum is not
accessible and explain that I did try to upload the assignment or do a
discussion forum but could not submit it due to inaccessability. It is good
to try to do it through Blackboard first though, so you can show that you at
least tried to submit it there, as usually professors and instructors can
view logs of each student's activity on Blackboard, so if you let them know
that you tried doing it that way, they will see that you tried and honestly
could not do it with your screen reader. Also, if you get accomodations
through the Disability Services office, they can even put in your
accomodations that you will need to email your assignments or have an
alternate method of submitting them if Blackboard is not accessible, so
maybe this could be an actual accomodation for you that can be put in your
accomodation letter, so the professor could then make an exception about
submitting things on Blackboard for you.
I hope this helps, and I hope it makes sense!
Misty