[nabs-l] public versus private universities

Lillie Pennington lilliepennington at fuse.net
Thu Jan 16 03:23:37 UTC 2014

Hi Sophie,

While there may be some bad private colleges with disability services, there
are also most likely some good ones. And there are good public universities,
but there are also bad ones. Basically, it will most likely depend on the
university. I'm not sure what the laws state of what protections students
get, but I'm pretty sure that you have the right to reasonable accomidations
in any case. I'd check out your University and see if you could get in touch
with some blind students that went or go there.
Also, as to your question of places with good disability services, a schools
website should have some information on their disability service office. The
college board also has a place with a college search on their website, and
good disability services is a criteria feature, I think. There are also
probably other resources out there. You also may want to check with your
guidance counselor, if that is an option.
Another thing to keep in mind is that disability services may not be the top
consideration in picking a college or university. I am personally looking at
academics and such when I'm looking for colleges and considering disability
services. I'm searching for the right school that I love before I look at
things such as disability services. However, that is my personal choice and
other people have different priorities.
Best of luck