[nabs-l] Languages

Hannah Chadwick sparklylicious at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 23:37:06 UTC 2014

Hi Lizzy,
That is fantastic! I'm a second year at UC Davis, and am currently taking
Chinese. My college has been great at getting me materials, including the
textbooks, PowerPoints, and any other handouts. The Chinese Pinyin is based
on the English alphabet so I use the English braille system to do all my
work. however, there is Chinese Braille, and I'm definitely planning on
learning it, but I wanted to understand the language first because I think
it would make it a lot easier. I'm using my apex to do most of my work so I
can make sure everything is spelled correctly. As for the thousands of
characters, NVDA can help with that. You'll have to install the software,
change your keyboard layout from English to Chinese and you'll be able to
type in Pinyin and select the correct characters.
I know it might sound like a lot, but it's actually pretty cool once you get
the hang of it. if you want more info, feel free to contact me off list at
hchadwick at ucdavis.edu
Good luck in choosing the language you want!
Best, Hannah