[nabs-l] Languages

Ryan Silveira ryan.l.silveira at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 00:19:26 UTC 2014

Hi Lizzie,

I’ve never formally taken any of the less common languages, but I have taught myself to speak bits and pieces of a number of languages, some of which use different braille codes as they have different alphabets.  One of the langurs I know fairly well is Greek.  It’s pretty easy to find resources to get the braille codes; the library of Congress has some books of alphabet charts in a variety of different languages.  Usually, they use similes that are somewhat similar to the English ones.  For example, in Greek, they use dot 1 for Alpha, dots 1 and 2 for Beta and dots 1, 2, 4 and 5 for Gama because those sounds approximate an A, B, and G in English.  Well, technically beta is pronounced like a V, but that’s beside the point.  Anyway, you should have no problem getting the resources you need.  I would definitely look into the library of Congress for some alphabet charts.  Hope this helps.

Ryan