[nabs-l] Stop Blaming the Economy & MLK JR. Rememberence & His View of the U.S. Economy

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 23:20:14 UTC 2014

Steve,

It's never been my position to downplay our challenges as blind individuals.
Yet, I also don't want to get into a tit for tat, because it's all too
possible to get into a stark comparison of how one underserved population
has it worse than the other. The only thing I'll point out is that
discrimination against the blind appears to stem from a sense of
custodialism, whereas racism stems from just plain old hatred. We have a
good shot at changing the former, if we really were an organized movement of
blind people, but I don't know how you persuade someone to think of another
being as human. I don't think we disagree on the essentials, and I'll always
gladly accept your well-reasoned and thought-out personal lectures.

To the person who believes we should eliminate gender and other demographics
from government and employment forms, is it also your position that we
should eradicate affirmative action? I'm right there with you if that's your
argument, but I don't want to make assumptions about what you meant.

--
Twitter: @ScribblingJoe

Visit my blog:
http://joeorozco.com/blog