[nabs-l] Blindness and Race

melissa Green lissa1531 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 03:10:57 UTC 2014

I have a story to add to this.
Like you arielle I wasn't taught that race is a huge factor.
I was with a friend and she wanted me to meet some people.
So we set up the time and place.
I came into the building where we were meeting and as I always did I touched
my friends hair to let her know that I was there.
She proceeded to introduce me to these two women.
they were very nice to me.
Then later she told me that one of them asked the other, if my friend knew I
was black, and should they tell her.
they just assumed that because she was totally blind that she didn't know
that I was black.
It didn't matter to me because I was raised to not judge others by their
color.
Now another twist to this, is that racism is prevalent in the eople of color
community.
This is because lighter skinned is seen as better than darker skinn.
I always liked the quote from Martin luther king when he says that he wanted
his children to be judged by the content of their character and not the
color of their skin.
I have had totally blind people call me a n*gger.  I won't write the word
because some are offended by it.
However, this has shown me that racism and prejudices are taught.
There is a song in the musical south pacific called you have to be taught.
that song is talking about racism, hate, and prejudice.
Lastly, my mom grew up in alabama during the time of segregation, and my
grandparents were sharecroppers.
So I knew all of the stories concerning my heritage.
Color was never made to be a huge thing.
Even now my stepdad is a white man, and many other interracial relationships
are present in my family.
It isn't perfect.
But we do exist and care a lot about one another.

I could go on and on with this topic.
and the various subtopics.
But will stop now.
I will end with this, apparently, this topic is why there is the  ACB and
the  NFB.
best wishes,
Sincerely,
Melissa R Green
"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole
staircase." -- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.