[nabs-l] Extensive Cane Travel During the Summer

Andy musicproandy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 23:26:16 UTC 2014

All,
I'm a college student (freshman) and I've been blind since birth.
Unfortunately throughout the years, my mobility/cane travel
instruction has been sporadic, at best.  I'm finding that I lack a lot
of skills: I have a lot of difficulty crossing streets, for example,
and don't really even know basic traffic patterns.  I find that I get
lost a lot, and in general I just really need a great deal of
instruction for mobility.  To get around now, as much as it pains me
to say it, I get a lot of help.

I'm looking to rectify this situation.  As I'm in college, I really
would prefer to not take a semester off, so some sort of summer
training program would be enormously helpful.  I already know braille,
computers, etc – really all I need is mobility, and if possible, basic
cooking, housekeeping, etc.  I did some research, but all I could find
were camps, college prep programs, etc, which isn't what I'm looking
for.

If anyone has any suggestions on what might be out there during the
summer for training, please let me know.
Thanks.