[nabs-l] Extensive Cane Travel During the Summer

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 23:49:52 UTC 2014

Hi Andy,

The difficulties you describe are quite common and I commend you for
seeking training to rectify them.
I would suggest trying to attend the adult program at one of the NFB
centers (Colorado, Louisiana or Minnesota) but only attending for the
summer. Though you won't be there long enough to receive an official
certificate, you can still get a lot of valuable travel and cooking
skills in a three-month period. Many students do this and the centers
are accustomed to taking students for short courses even though they
encourage folks to finish the entire program if they can. It's also
possible to attend for two summers.

You will be required to take Braille and computer classes at the
centers, but if you are already proficient, you can get more advanced
assignments and sometimes reset your schedule so you're not attending
these classes every day. In all classes, the teachers will evaluate
your skills when you start and will set a program for you that begins
where your skills end.

Best,
Arielle