[nabs-l] The banquet at Convention last night

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 03:53:36 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I left the convention on Saturday evening so I would have some time to
rest and prepare for my new job that started today. It was a bit
strange listening to the banquet address in my kitchen at home while
preparing dinner for my husband and myself. In fact, it was a little
ironic to be navigating the kitchen and cooking with ease while Dr.
Maurer discussed the "how to feed a blind person" article on EHow. Yet
it helped me realize that I was able to cook independently,
efficiently and safely because of the training I received at LCB and
the mentorship I have gotten from fellow NFB members. Having been an
active NFB member for eleven years now, I can tend to forget or take
for granted how much I have been empowered by being a part of the NFB.
Another time I reflected on that was when I first got to the Orlando
airport and independently picked up my luggage from baggage claim. It
was such a mundane activity but one that my parents didn't expect me
to do as a blind person and something I had thought was not possible
to do efficiently until I joined the NFB. For some of us the NFB has a
huge momentous impact; for others of us it  impacts our lives in a lot
of small ways we sometimes don't even think about as we go through our
daily lives. I enjoy coming to convention every year to be reminded of
the vast network we have in the NFB and how much hope we can take from
it.
Best,
Arielle