[nabs-l] Feeling Inadequate After National Convention?

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 12 21:29:51 UTC 2014

Hello All,

I hope everyone who attended the national convention this year had a great
time in Orlando. I understand attending a national convention can be a
rather inspiring event in the life of someone who is blind. However, as I
was listening to the online stream of the national convention this year, I
found myself feeling the complete opposite.

Instead of feeling inspired and hopeful for the future, I found myself
feeling rather defeated and inadequate. As I was listening to the speaches
from various leaders within the NFB, I found myself thinking how lucky they
must be that the only disability they have to deal with in their lives was
there blindness. I was thinking about how easy it must be fore someone who
is only blind, and how more difficult it is for someone who has another
disability in addition to being blind.

Now perhaps this may be a bit too personal to post to the email list, but I
was just curious if anyone else has ever felt this way, and if so, what did
you do to deal with these kinds of feelings? I would greatly appreciate
hearing from anyone who has ever dealt with this kind of issue before.

Thanks,
Elizabeth