[nabs-l] Revisiting idea of division for students with multipledisabilities

Darian dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 14:54:38 UTC 2014

Dear Karl,
On this I would beg to differ.  We as members of the Federation believe, and the movement of the organized blind in the federation has always maintained that blindness can be considered  little more than a characteristic with the proper training and opportunity
We believe that the blind should participate in all aspects of society
Everything we do/have done involving our advocacy, training and education work/activities is deeply rooted in expectation the expectation that the blind take their rightful place in society as citizens who take the same classes, participate in the same extracurricular activities work in the same fields and Arenas, get paid the same wages pay taxes, own homes, raise and maintain/keep their families and so on is an expectation. We organized to ensure these rights
 Whether or not this type of effort is ultimately healthy for our movement is something that I can't/wish not to speak to, because that's part of the conversation that those interested in its formation should start to have.
If this is something that can be done and should be done, I am willing to assist with whatever experience I might have gathered.