[nabs-l] question about braille

Manners, Derek dmanners at jd16.law.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 30 17:48:18 UTC 2014

Part of the drawback of being visually impaired or blind is that a lot of
things in the world are geared toward those with site.  Like any other tool
in the blind toolkit, braille is a workaround for a number of issues that
we all face or have the potential to face.  It can alert you that you are
about to enter the wrong gendered restroom or the wrong room number. it can
let you enjoy the sensation of reading a paper book instead of having to
have someone read it to you. It can allow you to send hand-written notes to
those who would appreciate a personal touch. In general, it can help you
maintain your independence and individualism despite the loss of site.