[nabs-l] CPR and first aid class

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 06:03:59 UTC 2014

Hi Ashley,

I've been CPR certified twice, first by the Red Cross for a baby
sitting course I took as a teenager, and then later by the American
Heart Association so I could work as a student teacher in a school for
a Teacher Academy program.  In both cases the instructor was able to
work with me to make sure I got the proper techniques.  The Red Cross
course did not have a video, but it also had some things that are
normally not covered like the infant heimlic maneuver.  The American
Heart Association course did have the video, and it was fine for me to
listen to.  If this is the same one you'll be watching, it's very
understandable, and each step for each procedure is described in
detail.  We also practiced the steps of each procedure after they were
explained in the video.  E.G, when we watched the episode on how to
properly inject an epipen we practiced with fake epipens on our
classmates so we could get the motion down.  The instructor gave me a
little more attention when we were practicing compressions and mouth
to mouth on the dummies, and she was very good at showing as well as
telling me how to do the techniques by positioning my hands
appropriately, or providing clear instructions that I could follow.  I
think it helped that we had a firefighter teach our class, because I
think they're trained to work with disabled people for their job
possibly more than someone who just teaches the CPR class.

Hope this helps.  I really enjoyed taking the course, and being CPR
certified comes in really handy.  Thankfully, I have only just
recently had to use the skills I learned in my courses in a real
situation, but I'm thankful that I'm always prepared to use them in
case of an emergency.

P.S, if you ever baby sit and actively seek jobs, CPR certification is
a great thing to mention in ads or on a reduced resume you might give
to potential parents.  It makes them feel a lot more comfortable
knowing that if some worst case scenario were to happen while they
were not around, the person taking care of their children knows how to
handle the situation and act in an emergency.

On 6/8/14, Ashley Bramlett via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need a first aid  and cpr class since I'm working with kids with
> disabilities at a day camp. I'm going to sub and volunteer on a regular
> basis.
>
> If you had the class, how was it? Did you follow it alright by listening?
> Was the instructor hands on for you? I know in this one we have a video to
> watch, but the coordinator could not tell me details as she did not have
> them, but she did think I could listen and be fine.
>
> I'm sure it will work out as they are aware of my visual impairment. How did
> it go for you?
>
> Thanks.
> Ashley

Kaiti