[nabs-l] Public Speaking

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 01:46:10 UTC 2014

While I speak, I prefer to only have an outline in front of me, but as I prepare I prefer to write out the speech word for word ahead of time. This helps me get a better sense for the flow of my thoughts, let’s me work out any specific phrasing that might be important to include or avoid, and helps me balance my speech so that I don’t spend more time on the points I am more comfortable with to the neglect of other points. It also helps me gauge how much time it will take to deliver the speech. A comfortable talking speed is roughly 125 words per minute and so using word count helps give me a rough estimate.

To build on what Joe said about gestures, if you aren’t comfortable using hand gestures, have someone help identify one or two go-to gestures to use to add emphasis. Once you are comfortable with these, you can try to build your repertoire.

My preferred outline method is index cards with braille on them. I’m not a terribly fast braille reader either, but using short key phrases on the cards helps jog my memory if I lose my place. I honestly find the index cards most useful as I am rehearsing my speech. They help me build my memory without allowing me to rely on the verbatim speech.

Hope this helps.

-Greg