[nabs-l] Braille being placed on the back burnner

Sophie Trist sweetpeareader at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 05:54:07 UTC 2014

It is impossible for blind people as a whole to put braille on
the back burner. I mean, sighties aren't saying, "OMG, who uses
print anymore? That was so 2004." Without braille, we're
illiterate. Braille provides us with more than just a reading
medium. When we learn braille, we learn how to spell. We learn
the proper usage of words. In short, we learn all the things that
make us literate. I have a couple of friends who hate to use
braille; they pretty much rely solely on screen readers. Whenever
I read anything written by these friends, a little bit of my
inner English nerd dies inside, but their spelling and use of
language is ATROCIOUS! These kids are my age, seventeen, yet by
their writing, you'd think they're elementary school students. I
believe it is our duty as blind people to explain to both our own
and the sighted that without braille, we are illiterate.