[nabs-l] NABS Elections

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 00:50:52 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I've really enjoyed reading all the introductions from folks who are
running for the NABS president, secretary and board positions. It is
clear that there is a great deal of talent, experience, and drive in
this organization and that all of you have great things to contribute
to the organization over the next few years. I just want to wish lots
of luck to everyone who is coming out and running.
Also, I would like to strongly encourage everyone who runs for a
position to stay involved in NABS leadership regardless of the outcome
of your contest. Elections are a numbers game, and inevitably, some of
you will not get on the board, or will not get your first choice of
position. However, that does not mean your input is not valued here.
There is always room to get involved on the committee of your choice,
to lead your state student division, and to help with NABS events such
as Monte Carlo and the auctions at Washington Seminar. You can also
further the NABS mission by reaching out to younger students or other
blind students in your field of study on this list. Most likely, there
will be a conference call sometime in August or September when the
committee chairs will come on and ask for volunteers to join
committees.
In particular, I would urge the individual who loses the presidential
race to stay involved on or off the board as you see fit. Although I
understand that putting your neck out there for president and then not
winning is uncomfortable, it doesn't mean that your desire to lead and
your talents are not appreciated. In the past, I have seen
presidential or vice-presidential candidates lose elections and then
disappear. This happens sometimes not only in NABS, but in affiliates
and chapters (and I'm sure in non-NFB organizations too). I always
view this as unfortunate, especially when the presidential or
vice-presidential hopeful previously served on the board and had a lot
of good ideas to contribute.

See you in Orlando soon!
Best,
Arielle