[nabs-l] Chris Nusbaum for NABS Board

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 04:20:50 UTC 2014

Dear Fellow NABS Members:

In April of 2011 my life changed forever.  I was in seventh grade
at the time and attending my first ever Jernigan Institute
program: the 2011 Leadership and Advocacy in Washington (LAW)
Program.  Before I had enrolled in this event, I had been a
member of the National Federation of the Blind, but only on
paper.  My memories of an earlier experience had prevented me
from throwing myself into any Federation activity.  I had no
interest in any of the youth programs or in attending a national
convention.  Even when I joined my family in making the
occasional day trip to our state convention, I showed no interest
in attending the general sessions or even the student activities.
Most of the time I would stay in the hotel room with my dad, who
possessed a similar lack of interest in "all those meetings,"
while Mom went to those parent sessions she always wanted to go
to.  Sometimes I would allow myself to be "dragged" to the
parents' luncheon at which they seemed to inevitably ask me to
speak almost every year.  However, I knew my life was lacking
something.  Sure, I could accept my blindness for what it is.
Sure, I had no sadness or sense of loss in the realization that I
am blind.  However, I had no source of confidence or motivation
to drive me on.  I had no community I could call my own; no
mentors to ask those blindness questions which only found their
place in the deep recesses of my mind; no peers to whom I could
relate.  I was a blind person floating through life alone, with a
lot of enthusiasm and no place to use it.  There was no place
where I could truly say I belonged.

It was during those momentous four days in Baltimore that I met
the National Federation of the Blind-not the Federation of my
early childhood, which in my mind was mean and radical and
close-minded, but the real Federation.  There I met adults and
peers alike who told me I could live the life I want.  And they
didn't just tell me that; they showed me by their example.  I saw
the Federation's powerful advocacy in action, fighting for the
rights of all blind people to live on equal terms with the
sighted.  Most importantly for me, however, I met people who told
me I didn't have to be an adult or a national leader or the
"perfect blind person" to contribute to our movement.  Finally, I
had found a place where I belong-a community and a cause I can
call my own! I came home from that program a changed person.
Almost immediately I immersed myself in learning about the
history, philosophy and programs of the Federation.  In my
eagerness to connect with the members of my newfound community, I
subscribed to three NFB-Net listservs in one day and began
voraciously reading the material posted on them.  Some of you may
remember me from those days: a middle school student bursting at
the seems with Federation enthusiasm and contributing to every
thread I could.  Some of you may have wished then that I would
just go away.  Unfortunately, or fortunately, I have not.

In the intervening three years I have begun to assimilate myself
into active Federation membership and some leadership.  In 2012 I
was elected to serve on the Board of the Maryland Association of
Blind Students,  of which I am currently honored to serve as
Secretary.  I have also been blessed with opportunities to give
back to the movement which has given me so much on the state and
even the national level.  Last year I was honored when our state
President asked me to join our social media team and coordinate
the live tweeting of our state convention.  Further still, I was
deeply humbled when I received the call from Dr.  Maurer to serve
on the newly-formed Committee on Social Media which develops and
implements strategies for spreading the message of the Federation
using the power of social media.  God and the Federation have
also blessed me with numorous occasions to continue my growth, to
be mentored and to mentor others, e.g.  as a teacher in our
Baltimore BELL Program, as an informal teacher and role model to
blind children and their families, and as a student in the
Louisiana Center for the Blind's Buddy and STEP Programs.  I have
taken much from this wonderful organization; now I am ready to
give back.

After much contemplation, I have decided to run for the position
of NABS Board Member at our upcoming national convention.  I
believe my enthusiasm and prior experience will help NABS in
continuing our vibrancy as a proud division of the NFB.  Though I
am still in high school, I am passionate about reaching out to
those younger students who, like me before I found the
Federation, are currently floating through life on their own with
no cause to call their own.  I believe my status as a member of
the younger generation of students will serve as an asset to
NABS.  Moreover, I do not intend to act unilaterally on anything.
We are an organization which can only survive if all involved
work together.  If elected, I plan to cooperate and actively
communicate with both my fellow leaders and the wider membership
in creating a better, stronger NABS.  I can truly say that the
National Federation of the Blind has changed my life.  Now, it is
time for me to give back that which has been so generously given
me.  With your vote on July 2, as the motto of the Louisiana
Center for the Blind so aptly states, "Together, we are changing
what it means to be blind." I thank you for your support and
would be honored to receive your vote.

Sincerely yours,

Chris Nusbaum, Secretary
Maryland Association of Blind Students
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland