[nabs-l] NABS Meeting Agenda

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 19:06:28 UTC 2014

Good afternoon NABS:

As many of us are on the way to Orlando, and many others are thinking about
maybe starting to pack, I wanted to share the agenda for the annual business
meeting. I think we have some great presenters this year and I am very
excited to reconnect with or meet many of you in Orlando! Please find the
agenda attached, as well as pasted below.

Also, I just want to urge everybody to get to the meeting early this year.
Every year many many students are still outside registering when the meeting
starts. This year I'd love to see all of you in the meeting room and ready
to rock at 7:00. We have a $100 cash door prize right at the start of the
meeting, so you'll want to be there to have a shot at that. But, more
importantly, this is the last time that Dr. Maurer will be addressing NABS
as the President of NFB. As you all likely know, Dr. Maurer is stepping down
from the Presidency this year in Orlando. Of course we all know enough to
know that he will remain the driving force behind our movement for years to
come. This is a special convention and a special meeting. And, NABS has a
little something special for Dr. Maurer, too. We want you all to be there to
see it and to show our appreciation for the monumental improvements in the
lives of the blind that his decades of service have produced. So, please,
come and register when we open up at 6:00 on Wednesday. You can mix, mingle
and chat with friends in the meeting room, and we will play some music to
keep people entertained. Let's pack the room and show Orlando what student
energy and the National Federation of the Blind are all about!

Thanks,

Sean

Together for a Better Tomorrow
National Association of Blind Students

A Division of the National Federation of the Blind

Annual Seminar and Business Meeting - July 2, 2014

7:00   Welcome and Call to Order - Sean Whalen, President, National
Association of Blind Students

7:05   Student Leadership and the Future of the Movement - Marc Maurer,
President, National Federation of the Blind

7:20   Think You Can't Do Science? Think Again! - Hoby Wedler, Ph.D.
Candidate, University of California Davis

7:30   Opening Up Access for All - Rick Ferrie, Head of Accessibility
Advocacy, Pearson

7:45   Together: We Transform Dreams into Reality - Mark Riccobono,
Executive Director, National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute

7:55   Meet the Class of 2014 Part I - Patti Gregory-Chang, Chair, NFB
Scholarship Committee; President, National Federation of the Blind of
Illinois

8:10   We, the Leaders; This, Our Movement; Together, Being the Change -
Darian Smith, 2nd Vice President, National Association of Blind Students.

8:20   Precious Moments: My Journey in the NFB - Precious Perez, President,
Massachusetts Association of Blind Students

8:30   The Mission, the Movement, and the Motivation to Make a Difference -
Anil Lewis, Deputy Executive Director, National Federation of the Blind
Jernigan Institute

8:40   Meet the Class of 2014 Part II - Patti Gregory-Chang, Chair, NFB
Scholarship Committee; President, National Federation of the Blind of
Illinois

8:55   Laying Down the Law: NFB's Work to Ensure an Equal Education for
Blind Students - Valerie Yingling, Paralegal, National Federation of the
Blind

9:00   Choosing Our Future: NABS Update - Sean Whalen, President, National
Association of Blind Students

9:15   Announcements

9:30   Elections

10:30       Adjourn