[nabs-l] Sort of expanding on the social skills issue

Lillie Pennington lilliepennington at fuse.net
Thu Mar 6 04:32:55 UTC 2014

Hi everyone. We are talking about social skills mainly with students and in some public situations. However, what about with teachers or parents?
I have had a decent number of moments where I have had to be assertive, and I am still refining my skills. I am dealing with and I feel as if I am walking on a very thin line for handling. I have a new tvi who is new this year and is a little odd in his actions and word choices than I was used to. I guess I am referring to his personality although I guess that sounds rather rude and judgmental now that I think about it.
Over the past few months he has done some things that me and some of my family thought was rather strange or out of place. He accused me of being lazy and taking shortcuts but could not give any reason or examples of why he felt this way. When I went on a school trip he asked questions that I thought standard to ask someone about a trip such as how long the bus ride was and then some stranger questions such as how long I knew each of my roommates and wrote all of my answers down.
Today I had a confrontation about bap classes. He basically told me that he thought I as a blind person shouldn't take 4 ap classes, even though I had teacher recomendations for these classes. He decided to make an appointment with my counselor, him and myself and I have a feeling that this is on the agenda. I have been polite but firm in most of my dealings with him, such as I apreciate and understand your concern, but I think I will keep my schedule. Thank you for telling me how you feel.
These situations are occurring more often, and I am struggling with what to do. Should I continue with my current tactic? He can tell me I am stupid or lazy all he wants and I would respectfully listen as long as long as he had even a single reason. I don't know what to do and I am sorry I'm complaining on a public listserve like this.Sent from my iPhone