[nabs-l] Sort of expanding on the social skills issue

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 04:45:31 UTC 2014

Hi Lillie,

I am sorry you are having these issues. It is tricky to deal with the
ignorance of people who are in authority over you, especially when you
are still a teenager. If your TVI is a decent guy, he should listen to
you if you calmly and politely explain your preferences. However, he
may or may not take you seriously. If your parents agree with you, you
may want to have your mom or dad call him and talk to him about how he
is interfering with your success more than helping you. Blind students
take multiple AP classes all the time and unless you took AP classes
in the past that you weren't able to pass, he has no basis for talking
you out of it. My guess is he probably doesn't want to spend the time
preparing all your Braille materials for those classes, but that's not
his right as a teacher to discourage you for his own benefit. You can
also take this matter up with your guidance counselor or even the
principal. The bottom line is your TVI is responsible for getting you
Braille materials, not setting your schedule. You and your parents can
also request an IEP meeting to discuss this stuff with him and with
your teachers who are supporting you. Unfortunately, sometimes when we
are young we just have to make the best of the situations we are in
until we are old enough to get out of them. Bringing this thread full
circle, my parents often admonished me for being "too independent" if
I refused help. I didn't have blind adults to talk to and it took me a
while to realize that I had the right to refuse "help" that made me
feel uncomfortable. I hope we can offer you support as you deal with
the barriers that other people sometimes put up in the name of trying
to be helpful.

Best,
Arielle