[nabs-l] Accessibility presentation in my computing ethics class

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Fri Mar 7 17:39:24 UTC 2014

I am a legally blind computer science student at Arizona State University.
I am currently taking a course in computing ethics. I chose to do my
presentation on computing and the disabled. There are only a couple of
pages in our text about it that talk about accessibility but also talk
about companies deciding not to provide accommodation becasue technology
now allows employees to work remote.

I will be researching the subject but I know that the people on these lists
have vast knowledge so I thought this was the perfect place to ask
questions. I am a user of mac zoom and zoontext so I dont' know a lot about
the specific accessibility issues when using JAWS

So here are some of my questions. Also feel free to offer information on
anything I may have left outs.

What do software developers need to do to ensure the software they develop
is accessible via a screen reader?
Is is just things like in visual studio setting the Accessibility
Properties of a control like a combo box?
When I use ZoomText the insertion point is tracked in some software but not
others. What needs to be done to allow tracking? Does the software need to
expose something?
What makes a web page accessible vs not accessible with speech?
What have been people's experiences with things like blackboard, or other
sites you are required to use in school to access your class, turn in
assignments, take online quizzes/tests etc.
Where can a developer go to learn about requirements for accessibility,
what makes a program or webpage more accessible
Does anyone have experience on the job in which a program you were using
was accessible but they came out with a new version that was no longer
accessible? Specific examples would be really helpful
What laws exist concerning accessibility to computers, software etc?
I would really love to show a demo of someone who is really experienced
with JAWS especially someone who works in the computer science field. Would
any one be willing to provide me with a short video of you working so the
students can see how we work in the field? I would provide a link to my
dropbox for the video. I can do any required editing.

After I present to the class, I am planning on providing my presentation to
the dean of computer science and explain why I believe accessibility should
be taught from the beginning to computer science students. If they learn to
at least think about it when learning to develop software I believe they
will be more likely to do it in practice. I believe most people don't even
think about since it does not affect them or anyone they know.

I also think it would be really cool for the disabled student resource
center to partner with the computer science department to set up a list of
volunteers who are users on screen readers to sit with students and test
the accessibility of their code as a learning experience.

Thank you in advance for your help
Suzanne